An amateur Irish football club have apologised for a "gross error of judgment" after falsely reporting that one of their players had died. The side's game against Arklow Town on Saturday was postponed, while other teams in the league held a minute's silence in honour of the player. The league are also said to have posted a notice of his death in Irish newspaper The Herald before it was discovered that La Fuente was alive and well. Ballybrack FC said they had contacted the player to confirm his wellbeing, and described the incident as a "grave and unacceptable mistake". In a statement posted on Facebook, the club said: "It has come to the attention of both the club, senior players and the management team that a gross error of judgment has occurred emanating from correspondence sent from a member of the senior set up management team to the Leinster Senior League. They added: "At this stage we can only offer our sincere apologies to the Leinster Senior League, our opponents Arklow Town FC and the host of clubs and football people who made contact with us or offered messages of support in recent days. The club added that "the person in question has been relieved of all footballing duties" following an emergency meeting.
Updated November 28, An Irish amateur football team has issued an apology for a "grave and unacceptable mistake" after it falsely reported that one of its players had died last week. The news saw all teams in the league hold a minute's silence before the start of their matches with players donning black armbands. But the league has since confirmed that it learned the player was not dead, and was back in his native Spain.